Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Dawson College, Montreal, Quebec, September 11, 2006

Originally published on aardvarksaattic.com Tuesday, September 12, 2006

So, another poor, misguided soul has decided that life wasn’t giving him all that he felt it owed him in expedient enough fashion. Hard done by, all on his own (except, of course, for his mother), what does this hero decide his best course of action is? Why, arm himself to the teeth, head downtown to Montreal’s Dawson College and start ruining or ending the lives of a multitude of other young people his age in a rain of terror and hail of bullets which, while brief in geological terms, must certainly have been the longest 15 minutes of these poor unfortunates lives.

I have always felt a kind of abstract pity for anyone who has come to the brink of suicide and, staring it down, leapt, crept or shuffled over it’s, at the time, oh so inviting precipice. Hell, all but the most well adjusted of us have come to within shouting distance of the act, haven’t we? Even if the thought of suicide didn’t consciously enter our minds. There but for the grace of God and all that.

What has always fried my ass about this type of freak is their need, their obsession with taking other people with them. My life is shit, goodness knows it can’t be my fault that I have wound up where I am so I must hunt down those at who’s feet the blame must surely rest and punish them. Never mind the fact that these sick fucks may not have even know the individuals upon whom they take out their “vengeance”.

Listen, growing up is all about feeling different, feeling under appreciated, feeling alone. Don’t you think that even the most popular of youngsters feel that pressure, that alienation. Not that they would ever own up to it at the time. Hell, not that they would ever necessarily own up to it as an adult either. That’s one of the reasons shrinks make as good a living as they do. It all comes down to the way that you deal with these feelings. If everyone who felt alienated, misunderstood and alone took up arms, well, let’s put it this way; I’m sure the daily commute to work would be one hell of a lot less crowded.

I myself have listened to a number of the same bands that this jack ass listened to. Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Metallica. I’ve listened to and even sang myself “Sympathy for the Devil” by The Rolling Stones.. I’ve played first person shooters on my computer by the score. Shit, I even consider “Stephen King” to be one of the greatest writers of our time. I’ve watched “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre”, “The Exorcist” and “There’s Something About Mary”. And do I feel like going out and mowing down a bunch of complete and utter strangers? Or friends for that matter. I think not.

The argument that any or all of these factors have caused sickos like this asshole to go over the edge is weak at best. If it wasn’t a Metallica song, a Stephen King novel or an undercooked burger at Burger King it would be something, anything else. Remember “The Son of Sam”? He killed people ostensibly because his next door neighbors dog told him to. So don’t even go there with me, o.k.?

The worse thing is this bloody freak of nature left clues. Clues; hell, he left big fucking neon signs, all over the place. Cries for help you say? Maybe. But I ask you, what kind of help is there for someone whose best friend is a semi automatic weapon.

I get pissed off enough as it is at people who feel they are at wits end and need to end it all who then jump in front of subways or off bridges in front of cars, Nothing like scarring others for life by their thoughtlessness, is there. Self centered jerks. Maybe it is a cry for help. God knows I am no psychologist. But if you are going to do yourself in, then do it in private. Don’t make anyone else the instrument of your destruction. It’s bad enough that, killing themselves in private, loved ones are more likely than not to be the ones who find them. Preferably laying around for a month or two in a closed room in the sweltering heat so their bodies can be nice and ripe I’m sure.

There is an article on the canoe.ca website titled “Shootings Likely To Rekindle Gun Control Debate”. Gee, do you figure? I mean, why was this twisted individual able to get hold of the arsenal that he made his fateful trip with? Fine, I understand there are any number of responsible gun owners, enthusiasts and farmers who consider it their right to own firearms. But let me ask you this. Outside of the military, who the hell NEEDS a fully automatic weapon. AK-47’s, Uzi’s, and Baretta CX4 Storm semi-automatic rifles such as this bozo came armed with. Never mind the term semi automatic; even I can leave off this piece, head out on the internet and be back in under five minutes with instructions on how to turn any semi-automatic weapon into the fully automatic kind.

The only thing that fully automatic weapons are made for is killing people. Either that or killing off entire species of animals at one go.

I’ve gone out of my way not to mention this dip shit’s name, nor the name of the site where he had his blog which included a photo of a tombstone with his own name on it with the caption “Lived Fast, Died Young, Left a Mangled Corpse”. If you are so inclined you will be able to find these tidbits out for yourself. Me, this is about as much time as I am willing to afford this psychopath.

My thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to those killed, injured and scarred by this senseless act of violence.

While I hope that something like this never happens again I realize that it is folly at best and blind ignorance at worst to expect such.

In this day and age, it is only, sadly, a matter of time…

No comments: